Campylobacter jejuni is the bacteria responsible for the Campylobacteriosis in Dogs. It can affect both the People and animals. It will be seen in the intestinal tracts of animals.
Following condition has higher risk for developing campylobacteriosis are:
1. Young animals
2. Animals with diarrhea
3. Poor sanitation
4. Crowded housing conditions
5. Stress due to surgery, pregnancy, or illness
6 . Pets with concurrent intestinal diseases and infections caused by parvovirus, Salmonella, Giardia and other intestinal parasites
Upto 50% dogs carry Campylobacteriosis diseases and other animals get it by shedding into their feces. Puppies and kittens are the source of infections to humans.
Most common symptoms includes the inflammation of the small intestine and results in diarrhea.
Other symptoms are:
1. Major cause of Campylobacteriosis disease is the animal get direct contact with the feces of infected one.
2. Another important cause is the contamination of food or water having the Campylobacter germ.
3. Due to under developed immune system younger animal is at higher risk of affecting with the disease.
Many different kinds of infections can cause diarrhea and bloody diarrhea. Campylobacter infection is diagnosed by the following major test:
1. Examine the culture to look for leukocytes (fecal white blood cells) in stool.
2. An endoscopy to evaluate the intestinal tract.
Other test includes:
1. An ultrasound to evaluate the integrity of your dog’s digestive tract
2. Urine and blood tests.
3. X-rays of the abdomen and intestinal tract
4. Special feces testing such as PCR testing.
Depending on the severity of the disease, the treatment of the disease may vary. It is highly recommended to keep animals on medication for a minimum of 21 days for curing of these diseases. Also it is recommended in isolating the animal, looking for an oral fluid therapy treatment for its dehydration, as well as antibiotics or a plasma transfusion.
1. Probiotics is useful in prevention and treatment of puppies. It is used in in mom 30 days before whelping and after whelping. It shows benefit in avoiding the transfer of affected mom to the puppies.
2. Antibiotics such as Azithromycin (Zithromax) or erythromycin are very helpful in treating of this disease.
3. Tylosin (Tylan) at 10 mg/lb is mixed with water and given orally twice will eliminate from this disease.
Home Care and Prevention:
There is no home care for the Campylobacteriosis disease if there is severe diarrhea. It is recommended to contact veterinarian immediately for this disease.
We can prevent this disease by following some simple steps:
1. Cleaning your dog's living and eating area.
2. Not to feed animals with raw or undercooked meat.
3. Isolate animals with diarrhea and improve sanitation in kennels.
4. Routinely disinfecting its water and food bowls .